Pages

Jul 9, 2010

A Whale of a Time!

Its taken me long to come back to this blog but well.. I am here again.

I am excited to start a post again but am also at a loss for ways to start this post. There are a great many things I could talk about but none of them seem all that important at the moment. I don't feel like writing about Miami or New York as I had promised myself I would, earlier.

I went to watch whales on the Monterey Bay twice in the last two weeks. Its truly scary and humbling to see a fifty feet long whale. I saw four of these beauties on my first trip and our boat followed them deep into the sea. Summers are feeding time for the Humpback whales in the Monterey Bay and they swim at the surface of the sea. Even an animal of that size and weight moves so gracefully through water. Its beautiful to see its tail fins plunging into the water while it swims.Not having experienced much of the sea,I was rather skeptic about actually seeing a whale.It was a surprise to see four huge ones. The scary thing about this particular kind of whale is this sound that it makes while spraying bubbles and water into the air when its breathing.I am not sure if its breathing or something else but it sounds like it.

Would you believe this species of whale SINGS?!! Yeah they actually sing songs during mating seasons! I must be precise, the male whale sings songs for the female.
oh, how romantic

I shouldn't forget the other sea creatures that I saw. I also saw some sprightly dolphins and the cutest,cuddliest sea lions and sea otters! A dolphin was swimming under our boat in the beginning and soon we saw more who put up quite a show. I saw some gray dolphins on my first trip and on my second trip some green ones.

Sea lions look very adorable.. not sure why they're called sea lions but our guide told us a very funny thing about them. They like to sleep on the water surface and also like to wake up in the same spot that they slept in! Cool, isn't it? Maybe it was just that the guide chose his words well.

It was freezing cold on the sea. I wasn't very well-prepared for the trip and almost felt as if the blood had clotted in my head. The cold can start a horrible body ache if you aren't wearing a couple of layers. When I got back to the coast, it was burning hot sun! This is a funny country.


I absolutely had to go a second time. This time I saw a whale with her calf swimming in the sea. I also took videos this time which I shall put up here on the weekend.

I hope to see the Blue Whale next!

I have been invited to go see the Gilroy Garlic Festival.. :D I am not sure if I am going!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see and hear the humpback whale now :-)

    ReplyDelete