Pages

May 20, 2010

The Heist at Isabella Gardner Museum

I was so busy on March 18, that I forgot to write about this on my blog. I found about this story when I was researching on the topic "The biggest robberies in the world". Yeah, I like to read on topics like that :p and also "Famous haunted places", and "History of the comic strip".It probably sounds weird but it was fun. Going back to the main topic..

The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston is the site of the world's biggest art and personal property theft in history.It was a private collection of the works of renaissance artists like Matisse,Rembrandt,Botticelli,Vemeer to name a few.

On March 18,1990, some people managed to get away with priceless works of Rembrandt,Vemeer,Degas and other artists. The paintings have never been recovered unlike other art robberies when the stolen things do turn up over time.

I will not go into the heart-breaking details of how the paintings were stolen.It makes me cringe to think that they hacked those masterpieces off the frames with knives! It is agonizing to think that these works of art will not be available to be seen by common people like me but are instead stashed away in some dark corner of the world by a ****** mafia don.

I remembered this cause I've been planning a trip to the east coast and this was one place I wanted to visit. Also, would you believe another art theft occured in Paris recently?!! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/10130840.stm

I wonder if the paintings and other art items will ever be back where they belong, in public view.


Here's a picture of the one and only seascape that Rembrandt ever painted. It was among the lost paintings on March 18,1990. Its called Storm on the Sea of Galilee.

No comments:

Post a Comment