Pages

Apr 25, 2010

One funny thing and one sad thing

When I was on the bus yesterday on my pursuit of the elusive Winchester Mystery house, I could not help hearing a funny conversation between an American Dad and his little girl. They were sitting too close to me to avoid hearing :P

Girl:Dad! Isn't that the hospital where I was born?
Dad: Huh?... No it isn't.
Girl: That's the hospital where I'll have my baby.
Dad : No, you're not allowed to date.
Girl: But I have a boyfriend.
Dad: No no no no. You're not dating until you're eighteen! Thats another eleven years! You don't have a boyfriend.
Girl: I already have a boyfriend.

It went on in this way. I had great difficulty controlling my laugh.

========================================================

On my way back, while I was looking for my bus back from the mall. I saw an old woman in a black veil. She was asking a very unhelpful,weird-looking guy on the bus stop in very unintelligible english,whether her bus would come on this stop.

She saw me and asked me the same question. After I'd answered her,she asked me if I was Indian. She told me she was an Indian from Kozhikode and was trying to find her way home to Cupertino. I didn't even know where that place was. She had bus numbers written on a piece of paper though I think she couldn't read very well.Feel rather bad seeing old people abandoned in a foreign country where they don't know the language nor how to get around.

I wonder how she ever came here....and what idiot thought it smart to leave her like that with a paper full of instructions which she didn't seem able to follow.

7 comments:

  1. The same thing happened to me when I was at the New York Greyhound station. An elderly woman approached me and starting speaking Gujarati...I could not understand what she was saying as she kept pointing to a piece of paper. The major hurdle was, she knew ZERO english

    With my own broken/butler Hindi, I managed to find out that her husband's phone number was written on that piece of paper and that he was supposed to pick her up (apparently, the guy was 1hr late)

    I then called the guy(who happened to be a doctor) on my cellphone and he answered the call after about 10-15 tries...I even had to miss one of my buses and catch the next one (thankfully, I wasn't in a great hurry)

    Finally when he answered the call, he was as cool as a cucumber, expressing no remorse and I somehow got the impression he didn't care. I then gave the the phone to his wife who blasted him using some words I understood and some words which I didn't :P

    After the lady told me that her husband was on his way, I caught the next bus. I really could not believe that some people could be this callous. I guess u also gotta attribute some fault to the lady who consented to come on this trip with no knowledge of english

    (PS: sorry for this lengthy, mini-blog post :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My comments section is acting funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the message is long enough, it can be ur next blog post :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha :) Does make me wonder if you write a blog yourself. :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh yeah...I do

    http://schwarzenblitz.blogspot.com/

    :)

    (PS : non political blogs/rants are far and few in between)

    when u have time, check out the latest one and

    http://schwarzenblitz.blogspot.com/2009/03/news-that-isnt.html

    ReplyDelete