Pages

Dec 8, 2009

The best fork forward!

Today I attended a little session on dining etiquette :)
I have always been more comfortable with spoons and forks than eating with my hands so today's session was fun.I got to know a lot of things that I have been doing wrong all this while without realizing it.Think I'll put down some points here if I ever want to refer.Its fresh in my mind now.

1) Cutlery placed on either side of the plate should be used moving from outside working your way inward.

2) Solids to the left and liquids to the right.

3) Fork on the left and knife on the right.Both need to be held with the index finger pointing and placed down their back.

4) Napkins should either be folded diagonally or horizontally. When folding horizontally only about a third of the napkin should be double layered.

5) Soups should be stirred moving from the inside working outward. The spoon should be filled from the top of the bowl,tapped delicately on the rim and should be placed sideways to the mouth while sipping :)

6) Bread can be eaten using hands.( There was a collective sigh of relief from the group at this point.)

These were some of the many helpful tips we got today.After the lunch today I decided that I'll never order spaghetti or noodles while at a lunch meeting.Its so difficult to work it when it has too much sauce. No rice either due to some other considerations.

In a nutshell, At lunch meetings you meet and greet and not eat!

On the way back in the car,a colleague of mine sang some old hindi songs.He has a lovely voice.It was really nice listening to all my favorite songs after such a long time.I really enjoyed on my way back home with everybody cracking hilarious jokes.Everybody was full of plans for next year.Day-dreaming is so addictive and it doesn't help that I'm particularly good at it.


UPDATE : Looking around at my room I think I could also do with a session that goes something like this:

1) Coat in hanger,Clothes in cupboard,Shoes in rack,Books in the shelf etc.

2) See 1 above

3) Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment